1. Studio Hours: Plants I can’t kill

Man oh man. Winter is really killing my creative juices these days, so sorry for the random quiet days around here. In between the -20 degree temperature and the random 50 degree teaser day, I’ve been dreaming about what spring has in store….like getting married! Wahoo!

Until then, I’ve been hoarding house plants like a crazy person to make it feel a bit more like spring/summer in here. I’m not really a green thumb, but I can keep the more hardy plants alive. These usually include different cactus varieties, philodendrons, rubber trees, jade trees, and a few air plants. There are the occasion cut stem flowers as well as little herb plants thrown into the mix every once and awhile. (those usually die). If you have any questions about the plants in the photos, leave a comment and I’ll message you :)

+ What are you guys doing to keep sane during this crazy winter? +

1. Jessie says:

so FRESH + so CLEAN

2. Maru says:

I like these! I’m actually a winter person, so you can imagine I’m loving this weather, crazy I know!

3. Diana says:

Hi, I absolutely adore your blog and I’m into all these plants. But I have a question: is it true that you shouldn’t put rubber trees into your bedroom?

Love,
      Diana

Hi Diana! Thanks for your kind words about my blog. Your question about rubber trees (in the bedroom) had me googling the internet for an answer. I’ve never heard about that fact, so I can’t say for you. I also wasn’t able to find anything online that advises against it.

4. Amanda says:

I’ve been reading like crazy to keep the winter doldrums at bay. A college dorm is not a very inviting environment for plants (as much as I would LOVE to have some!!), but it’s always nice to curl up with some tea (or let’s be real, some wine) and read while it snows!!

Love your use of cactuses / succulents. Two of my absolute favorites…reminds me of warmer climes :)

5. I’ve been looking for some hardy plants for my desk! I’ll definitely be getting some of these (:

6. Diana says:

Wow, this is such an appropriate post! I have the worst black thumb and just managed to kill off an ivy plant, which I thought would be impossible since outdoors they practically grow in the dark… So now I’ve basically switched entirely to succulents. Not such a bad thing, but still. If you have any good resources for caring for plants, I’d love some suggestions!

Diana, I don’t have any magic solution and usually use the trial and error method to find out which plants can survive. Haha. So far, it mostly succulents. You should try the Jade tree…it asks like the succulents and looks really neat.

7. Danielle says:

I need some hardy plants to fill my house! I am always killing plants.

8. A plant that can survive 2 weeks or more without water … I think it was just made for me !
      And the funny thing is that my mom is a gardener, she knows everything about plants, latin names, and how to treasure them. I guess I didn’t inherited of her green thumb. But I do love a house filled with greens and cactus are the perfect solution !

Haha. I’m the same way. My mom has been a greenhouse florist for as long as I can remember. I have the desire to grow things like her, but might be cursed with a not-so-green thumb!

9. Kelly Brito says:

I was very successful with one plant that wasn’t from the cactus family. It grew beautifully, was long and nice. I was so proud. Then my kid (about 2-3 years old at the time) pushed it and half of the plant broke, then died. Well, the plant is still alive and well (4+ years now), but was never the same. =/
      I love cactus, but since we got the cats, I haven’t had any.

And I absolutely understand what you mean about the weather. It’s been crazy!

10. […] 1.Favors: My mother and I have been planning out our wedding favors and have big things planned. I don’t want to share all the details just yet, but know that it involves air plants! More plants I can’t kill. Wahoo! […]

Wow, I’m so glad I’m in California. I hope you’re able to thaw out soon and stay that way. =]

12. Jennifer says:

I have been coveting some house plants lately! I am just curious about where to find them, seeing as it is winter and all – the greenhouse at Home Depot is nearly empty, as it should be. Where are you purchasing your beautiful, hard-to-kill plants?

P.S. I love your photos!

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for stopping by. Most of the plants I have have come from greenhouses and I get them during the warmer months. I’ve gotten a few of the succulent/cactus varieties from Home Depot, and some other from a local nursery (indoors right now). I’d suggest looking around for those specialty shops during the winter or stocking up when the weather gets warmer ;)

13. Mandy says:

This is so beautiful. I was wondering what the last cactus in the white bowl is called? I love how small it is.

14. joody says:

I love this post! I do not have a green thumb either. Have you tried air plants? I just did a post today on air plants I bought during my trip in Oregon’s Wine Country. You just soak them in water for 20 minutes every other week. Simple! Your post is giving me ideas of how to “plant” my air plants! http://wp.me/p2kUEg-Tx

15. rae says:

really love these pictures. they feel so warm and airy – a stark contrast to the cold weather you are having! I live in Berlin and it is surprisingly warm for this time of year, but seeing everyone post about snow actually makes me long for it – even if most people have been complaining about it. good luck with your plants. i definitely agree with you that it should help bring some measure of summer to your doorstep. :)

16. […] cacti and air plants // tiny vessels and a geometric […]

17. Gema says:

Thank you for your post…beautiful pics!
      I really love the white ceramic pot in the last picture, where can I find it?

18. […] 5 Plants to grow from food scraps, Steven Holl architecture, Amica June 2014, Vida House: Plant’s I can’t Kill, Nowness, Photography Maria Molko, Notebooks from Present & Correct, Adventored, The Low […]

19. Love your plants! They are beautiful! I actually managed to kill my cacti the other day – my mother who is my green-thumb-when-in-need said I may have drowned it, bohoo.

Oh noooo. I love cacti because I don’t think I ever water it. I know when it doesn’t look as “full” it’t time to water. haha

20. […] 1. Planete Deco. 2. The Design Files. 3. 79 Ideas. 4. Zo wie so. 5. Gimme Some Oven. 6. In God We Trust (Tumblr). 7. Dust Jacket Attic. 8. Coco Lapine Design. 9. Domaine Home. 10. The Veda House. […]

21. Natalie says:

I absolutely love the bowl/pot your cactus is in! Can I ask where you purchased it?

22. Diane says:

We will be away for aprox. 4 wks over the winter I have a holly bonsai and a few cacti how often do I have to have someone water them. Thanks

Hi Diane! I would probably just have someone water them once while you’re gone. They can go a long time in-between watering and its probably best to underwater than overwater. Hope that helps!