1. Studio Hours: Envelope Assembly

It’s Friday!!! I’m so glad that another weekend has made it’s way in to another busy week. I look forward to spending some quality time with my fiance and working on a few wedding projects.

Speaking of wedding projects…I’m in the thick of it on designing my own invitations. This is by far one of the most complicated projects I’ve taken on and I’ve come to realize it’s near impossible to design for your own wedding, and keep a level head. I had no idea printing would cost so much and that the entire process would be so time consuming. That’s what I get for being a perfectionist and not settling for “good enough” collateral pieces.

The images above show the envelopes I’m making for the save the dates and formal invites. Of course, I could buy string and button envelopes from a craft store, but they are soooo expensive. So now I’m piecing everything together. Every hole punch, every grommet, every paper disk, every envelope and every piece of string. Ahhhh!

Sorry, this was a rambling mess. Illustrates where my brain is today. I’ll come back and share the actual invite design later… when I regain sanity.

(buy grommet punch)

1. Wow!! More like every invite make with extra special love! I love DIY weddings and I will probably be the same way as you, mostly because I’m a bit of a control freak and love doing that stuff. But I’m sure I’ll be kicking myself in the butt too because I can only imagine how much work it is! It’s looking really amazing, though!!! Congrats! And on a side note, I just adore that white scale :)

Thanks for stopping by Jessica. I’m definitely kicking myself for taking this task on, but I would probably be kicking myself more for spending money when I could do it myself.

The scale is vintage and it was found in a barn. I used to use it when packing and shipping orders for my shop. (market203)

That’s crazy, literally putting your love and sweat in it :p I hope you’re not inviting too many people….

Luckily, it’s a small destination wedding of about 50 people. I can’t imagine a budget to accommodate any more than that. Crazy world of weddings!

3. Quyen says:

I can’t wait to see your invitations. Designing for yourself is always the hardest. I must say I spent more time on the invitations and other paper goods than anything else! :)

4. Amy says:

Man, I hear you about designing for your wedding…it’s the toughest project I’ve ever taken on. For just our wedding website, I redesigned it eight times (sheesh). Getting married is such a monumental, special moment, so there’s that extra layer of pressure to make all the details perfect! I haven’t started the save-the-dates or invitations yet, but I know that’s going to be another series of wishy-washy flip-flopping design decisions. Haha.

You are super ambitious to make those envelopes on your own, and they look amazing. I know all your wedding collateral will turn out just gorgeous…how could it not with you creating them?! We need to remember to step back and enjoy the process, knowing it will all be worth it. Good luck with the rest of your planning! :)

Oh Amy! How are you!
        I just saw your wedding website and I LOVE it. I decided NOT to design a website because if felt to daunting. I’m going to see how it goes with just printed collateral.

You’re right, enjoy the process and best of luck with everything :)

5. Stacia says:

I did a DIY wedding, and it was totally worth it. However, the best advice I got was to keep track of how many DIY projects I was setting myself up for that could only be done the week before the wedding. That is not a week where you are going to want to be losing sleep and time with your gal pals because you have to do everything yourself. Plan in advance, and choose your final battles well. It will all be okay once your actual wedding day gets there and you probably won’t remember any little flaws. Good luck!

6. Jessika says:

Craaaaazy! I’m glad it’s a small wedding and it makes me rethink my big wedding plans with my budget…not that I’m getting married anytime soon! Is it more expensive to do this yourself or get it printed? Just wondering…

xo Jessika

Hi Jessika,

I’m finding that I don’t feel the need to have letterpress, so I’m trying to do all the design details myself. I thought about getting them printed digitally, but I think I’ve landed on working with a local printer to get a little higher quality (paper and print). We’ll see how it goes…

7. jaymee says:

gosh your photos are always so incredible stunning, Cassie! Ha, and we did the same thing to our wedding envelopes! Took FOREVER, but it was worth it. Me and the cropadile became bffs :)

Thanks so much Jaymee! I loved seeing little snippets of your home on your blog yesterday. Just love you little space and look forward to seeing more snippets.

As for the envelopes. Me and the crop-a-dile are becoming enemies. He makes my hands hurt and the process is exhausting. Haha. I’m sure I’ll love the outcome, but man oh man!

8. […] If you need an incredibly talented (and beyond sweet) hand lettering artist to work with, please contact Maggie :) You can contact her on her portfolio site in the link below. If you’re interested in the construction of the envelopes, please visit this post. […]

9. […] wedding progress posts you can see our Save The Dates, Tabletop Details, Overhead lighting DIY, envelope assembly, and the smaller […]